Monday, June 13, 2011

Use a Reward System to Get Things Done

Personally, I find it devilishly difficult to get things done. Or more aptly, I have difficulty starting and stopping tasks. If I am not sure when it's supposed to start or end, I can obsess and worry about those details instead of actually working.

For some reason motivation is hard to come by for me. The only thing that I find that works most of the time is using a reward system.

It sounds childish (and perhaps I am as well) but knowing that I only have to do an activity for a limited time, even if I thoroughly enjoy it, seems to provide my brain adequate comprehension of a task.

- Find something you actually like. (For me, it's videogames, or surfing the internet, or watching an episode of something.)
- Bargain with yourself. (I set a timer to write for 20 minutes, then promise myself to play a videogame for 15 minutes, for example.)
- Work first, then reward. (It's more of a punishment system if you do it the other way around.)
- Don't let yourself down. (It's easier to put down what you love, what you are rewarding yourself with when you know that the reward will come again, and soon.)
- Make sure the reward is the right amount of time for the working activity (In other words, don't work for five minutes, then spend an hour and a half  rewarding yourself.)

I personally have a tendency to focus too long on work or play, to the point where neither is in balance. But by setting time limits and rewarding myself for good behaviour, I tend to feel better about myself, take adequate breaks, and "work smarter" while I am working.

How do you motivate yourself when you don't feel like working?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Real Time Web Analytics